4 Major Ill Effects of Conventional Cigarette Smoking on the Environment and Human Health
It is very well known to everyone that cigarette smoking is one of the major cause of environmental pollution because of its constant release of toxic air pollutants into the environs. The butts of cigarettes scatter the environment whereas the toxic chemicals present in the smoke of cigarette pollute the soil and water leading to soil and water pollution. Both animals and plants that come into the contact of the contaminated soil and water get affected badly.
Therefore, it is important to know that it is not only the smoke of cigarette that is harmful but cigarette butts and other waste released during the production process having a negative impact on the environment. Below are discussed some of the serious impacts of cigarette smoking on the environment and human health.
1. The direct danger to human health
Several clinical types of research have proved that regular smoking can cause many serious health disorders. Some of the dangerous health issues related to smoking are:
- Lung cancer: Chain smokers are at greater risk of developing lung cancer. Carcinogenic particles present in the smoke is responsible for the development of cancer of not only lungs but also that of throat, esophagus, and larynx.
- Autoimmune disorder: regular smoking increases the vulnerability to infection and other diseases in human because it curbs the immune system of the body.
- Type 2 diabetes: according to a recent study, it has been finding out that regular smokers are 30-40% at greater risk of suffering from type 2 diabetes as compared to the nonsmokers.
- Premature deaths: As chances of getting health disorder including cancer, vascular disease and respiratory problems increases, premature deaths in humans can take place.
- Heart attack and stroke: smoking constricts blood vessels due to which the circulation of blood to the heart, brain and other organs restricts. Aso result, chances of getting a heart attack and stroke increases.
Many people are not familiar with the fact that more and more smoking leads to more and more deforestation. The primary ingredient used in the manufacturing of cigarette is tobacco which is planted in the rainforest region. Consequently, this has led to deforestation in the region where tobacco is planted. According to an article published recently, one tree is destructed for the production of 300 cigarettes. Also, a lot of wood is burnt in order to create a fire so as to dry tobacco leaves.
3. Smoking generates a huge amount of toxic wastes
There is a requirement of a large amount of chemical and other toxic substances for the entire process of cultivation and transportation of tobacco. Also, at the time of the production of tobacco, co a huge amount of waste including fertilizers and chemical pesticides are released. This is highly toxic to humans, plants and animals as well because the chemicals leave their presence in soil and waterways.
4. Cigarette butts and waterways contamination
Cigarette butts have become one of the major concern as it leads to litter collection. One can easily found cigarette butts scattered everywhere on the ground and those litters generally found waste into waterways. Thus, contaminating the water which can lead to several waterborne diseases to humans who drink that water.
Knowing the effects of cigarette will not alone help in protecting the environment. But there is a need to safeguard the environment by saying no to smoking. For regular smokers, it is advisable to switch towards the better alternative to smoking which includes nicotine patches, gums and the more newer alternative vaping.
Is e-cigarette safer than smoking?
the major problem with traditional cigarettes is its major by-product that is tobacco which is responsible for contaminating the environment. Whereas e-cigarettes and its related products are safer to use because they do not contain tobacco.
Can vaping help to quit smoking?
Vaping is it different from smoking because it involves a glass or metal chamber that has a passage for electric current pass. Because of this, the heating process can be done under controlled temperature. As a consequence, it leads to the creation of vapor with minimum combustion which means the user inhale less smoke. Regular smokers who really want to quit smoking can switch to vaping because it will not only help them to live a longer life but it will also protect the environment as a whole. As e-cigarettes are available in different flavors, one who will try it get into love with it. You can place an order online for ruthless vapor that is available online.
Protecting and safeguarding the environment must be the first thought of every citizen of the country. Therefore, if it demands to quit your smoking habit never think twice. Go for a better alternative and give a way to sustainable development for the present as well as future generation.
Latest posts by Sonia Madaan (see all)
- 30+ Thrilling Facts About Mount Everest That Will Leave You Spellbound - April 24, 2019
- 13 Excellent Examples of Natural Resources That Exist on Earth - April 10, 2019
- Isthmus Landform: Formation, Location and Examples - April 8, 2019